Remember the old Beatles song, “When you find yourself in times of trouble Mother Mary comes to me speaking words of wisdom…” When you find yourself in times of trouble, what do you say to yourself? What goes round and round in your head?
When something we label as “bad” happens to us -we lose our job, our spouse leaves us, our investments crash, we become ill – what does our inner voice say? There are a lot of things in life that we can’t control; apart the three previous examples, there are hurricanes, earthquakes, drunk drivers just to mention a few. What we say to ourselves when these things happen is something we can control.
You can write you own affirmations, but you can also use prayer and quotes from your favourite Spiritual tradition to guide you, center you and return to a positive, open state of being. At first you do have to remember consciously to repeat these Spiritual Affirmations during the “good” times so they will become part of your inner repertoire; you can then draw upon them in time of need.
Over the course of my life, I have collected these Spiritual Affirmations from many sources, hopefully I will remember where and from whom I learned them. In this article, I will mention only non-religious quotes. I have used these affirmations myself, and have given them to clients to work with. These are only a few of my favourite ones, in other articles I will mention a few more.
- “I clothe myself in a robe of Light composed of the Love, Power and Wisdom of God, not only for my protection, but so that all those who come in contact with it will be drawn to God and Healed.” This is a good affirmation when needing protection. I read this in a book by Isabel Hickey many years ago and have used it since.
- “Whatever may befall me, whatever may torment me and draw me down from the shining spheres of the Spirit, my divine origin is an eternal reality, hidden though it may be in the depths of the soul.” This is from Rudolph Steiner
- “I choose to be a pioneer of the future and release being a prisoner of my past.” This came from a talk that Deepak Chopra gave.
- “I have the strength, the depth, the capacity, the wisdom, the will, the love and the purpose, I will prevail.” Adapted from a quote by Jean Shinola Bolen
- “Every decision I make is a choice between a grievance and a miracle. I let go of the grievances and choose miracles.” Deepak Chopra
We don’t see the big picture when we are in the midst of turmoil. So, go ahead, write these Spiritual Affirmations down on index cards and carry them around with you. Memorize them and repeat them when you catch yourself carrying on an automatic negative inner dialogue and notice if you feel different when you repeat them. I’d love it if you share your findings with me.
© 2010 Patzia Gonzalez